Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wabi Sabi Rotary

-Grubbing in Chicago
New to the 'Scene'

Conveyor Belt Sushi has made it's way over from Japan and is gaining steam after doing so. The idea is said to be invented by a chef who didn't have room for extra staff at his sushi restaurant. He came up with the idea while watching a conveyor belt of beer at the Asahi Brewery. The first conveyor belt sushi restaurant got it's start in 1958. These days they're found everywhere including Uptown.

Newly Opened in Uptown 

Wabi Sabi is Chicago's first conveyor belt sushi experience. The idea is you sit down along the moving belt and pick out which plates you want as they pass. Sushi is the focal point but other options like shumai and seaweed salad etc are available. This would be my second time eating sushi from the line. I previously dined off a conveyor belt in Cape Town and while nothing about it impressed me I still wanted to check out Wabi Sabi's new machinery one day while driving by.

The Conveyor Belt inside Wabi Sabi

Sushi in Motion 

I took a seat alongside the belt and found it odd that every seat in the house wasn't found along it. I sat and waited out what looked decent enough to try. Prices are based on the colors of the plates and when done your waiter will add up all you ate which you then pay for before leaving.

 Tamago (egg) 

While I'm sure there's good sushi to be found on conveyor belts in Japan the stuff from here seemed second fiddle to the machine itself. What I mean by that is people (including me) probably wouldn't pay this place much attention if not for the fact it has a big machine that feeds them food.

Avocado, Krab etc

Wabi Sabi
4521 N Sheridan Rd
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 561-9000

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails